It's been a difficult past two years as we've had to "deal" with Austin's food allergies....reading EVERY label we pick up, going to several different stores to get the special things he needs; spending more on those special items when my friends are saving tons on their groceries; looking in the pantry and realizing I have nothing he can eat; taking all of his food on vacation with us and packing him meals and special treats when we go out or to a party; having to explain to others the ins and outs of his allergies, but still having some not get it; lying awake at night thinking of all the situations he'll be in where there'll be "dangerous" food and wondering if we or someone else will be there to oversee, or will he take these allergies seriously and be responsible about them as he gets older and more independent; and the list goes on. But the most heartbreaking is having to tell him no when other children are enjoying the goodies without a care in the world...thankfully he understands now, but it's still heartbreaking.
However, we serve a God that is for us and not against us! And He loves my little Austin more than I do and shows us His love and faithfulness in every area of our lives, even this one! In the past few years, I've learned ways around Austin's allergies...making him separate meals, substituting ingredients here and there, etc. But lately, I've decided that all the things I make, he should be able to eat too....I'm on a mission! Where dispair and fear have lived for sometime, there is now a burning fire...a desire to include Austin! If he's going to face tough moments in the world around us, I can at least make him feel safe and included at home! I've been scouring websites and researching recipes and ingredients that are allergen free or easy to modify, but that also TASTE GOOD! I've committed to 1-2 new recipes a week, and so far only one has been a bomb! I feel like a whole new world has opened up to us! God is good!
Last week Austin had his first chocolate chip cookie and hot cocoa! Revolutionary!! He was in such disbelief about the cookies that he kept asking, "my have this?!" "my eat this?!" His excitement fueled my fire! This time my heart was melting, instead of breaking. :) Small victories...
(I have pictures to include with this post, but having trouble getting them from my phone to the computer.)
Monday, November 02, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
i love this!
I love this too. I tend to not think about how hard it must be for you! I'm glad you shared though and excited about the progress! Thanks for calling this morning! Love you.
Hey Meredith-
It's been years since I've seen you! Probably Ashley's wedding???? Saw your blog on Ashley's and Jessica's and read what you wrote about allergies. My heart totally goes out to you and I just had to post a comment to you. We have dealt with some of that, and I don't personally know anyone else that has. I would love to hear from you and hear more about it. We could probably exchange recipes! Send me a message sometime if you get a chance. My old email address is
melikp3@hotmail.com
If you do end up emailing, I could send you my regular email that I check all the time (I'm weird about posting that kind of stuff in a "public" place).
Your boys are adorable!
Love,
Melissa (Knox) Proffitt
I didn't know Austin had food allergies! Where have I been. If you come across any really good recipes, you might need to pass them on. Miss you and hope you are doing well!
Post a Comment